Let’s admit it, every new blogger has pondered “how to get traffic to a new blog for free”
I know I have! I spent countless hours scouring the internet, figuring out what I could write about to get more blog traffic.
And if you’re anything like I was when I first started blogging, you’re probably frustrated with trying to get more traffic to your new blog.
It’s ok. I understand your pain. Many of the newer bloggers in my Facebook group face the same pains. You’re not alone. Even I would love more free traffic to my blog.
SIDE NOTE: You might have read these methods before; however, I will go more in-depth into exactly how to make each method work for you.
5 simple ways you can get free traffic to your new blog
I’m sure you have probably heard a few things about search engine optimization at some point during your blogging journey.
For those who are not really tech-savvy or an internet marketing guru, the term SEO probably scares the hell out of you.
- The Top Bakery Name Ideas for 2021
- How to Improve Your Credit Score for Moms with Bad Credit
- Places That Hire At 15-The Best 45 Jobs That Hire 15-Year-Olds
- How to Make 500 A Day-50 Clever Ways to Start Making Easy Money
- 11 Home-Based Business Ideas For Moms That Is Easy To Start
SEO is short for search engine optimization. SEO is how your blog is found. The more relevant words or phrases related to a user’s search, the more likely your blog appears in the search results.
But how can you, as a new blogger, outsmart and slip past the big name companies with a high DA and advertising budget.
With a new blog, your domain authority is low. This means you will not be able to search for high volume searched words such as “drive,” “money,” “baby food,” etc.
Using long-tail keywords is a great method to getting traffic to a new blog. Long-tail keywords are more specific phrases that users use to search for information.
Before writing a blog post, I perform keyword research. This keyword research helps me to find high volume long-tail keywords that my blog can potentially rank for.
This method has helped me rank first on google and Pinterest multiple times.
There are tools such as SEMRUSH to help you find these long-tail keywords and the search volume. Here’s a free 7-day trial.
I have a blog post of 9 simple SEO tricks for beginner bloggers that go into more detail about SEO and ranking on google’s 1st page.
One of my favorite ways to get more visitors to a new blog is by joining Facebook groups.
Not only is Facebook groups a fantastic way to get more traffic to your blog for free, but it is also a great way to network with other bloggers.
Networking with other bloggers can lead to you guest posting on their site. Guest posting on other sites is an excellent way to create backlinks. We will talk more about guest posting later on, so stay tuned.
The most obvious way to use Facebook groups to get more traffic to a new blog is by participating in promotional threads.
In my Facebook group Blogging Boss Chics, you can click here to join. I do promotional threads. Each day of the week, there is a different opportunity to promote your new blog or social media account.
For instance, currently, on Monday, there is a promotional Pinterest thread. In which group members share their pins, and group members reciprocate.
This is a fantastic way to get more eyes on your Pinterest pins, thus creating more traffic for your website.
Bloggers can also find potential blogging topic ideas based on the questions repeatedly asked in Facebook groups. Simply search the group for a particular topic.
Before posting in any Facebook group, make sure to review the rules. You don’t want to get kicked out of a Facebook group. That could have been beneficial to your blogging career and traffic.
Have you created a Pinterest strategy to get traffic to your blog for free?
If not, you’re missing out on large amounts of free traffic!
Because Pinterest is very different from Facebook, your strategy for using this social media site to generate traffic will be unique.
Pinterest is a visual search engine, that to date, has over 320 million monthly active Pinterest users.
Pinterest is where most bloggers of all niches post their content to generate traffic to their blog for free.
To be successful on Pinterest and get traffic to your blog for free, you will need to do these simple steps.
- A Pinterest Business Account. It’s completely free to have a business account with Pinterest. There are many great features of having a business account. Users can go directly from your Pinterest profile to your site. In addition to you being able to get vital analytics on your pin performance.
- Have an optimized Pinterest profile. An optimized Pinterest profile consists of having relevant keywords (SEO again) in the bio of your Pinterest profile. I have included mine below as an example.
- Enable Rich Pins. A rich pin on Pinterest allows users to click on pins to directly take them to your blog. Rich pins are the source of most if not all bloggers traffic to their new blog using Pinterest.
- Clickworthy Pins. Many of us bloggers are guilty of creating great blog content but not getting visitors to our new blog. That could be because of pins that were hard to read or not very visually appealing,
Now, if you’re reading all of this information about Pinterest, and you’re still lost. There is a free Pinterest course that I recommend that helped me get off to a great start.
Remember earlier, I said we were going to touch on guest posting. Finally, we are at that point. Guest posting is writing content for another company or blogger.
Why is guest posting important?
Guest posting is important when it comes to SEO. Yep, pretty much everything ties back to SEO when you’re trying to get free traffic to your blog.
Guest posting creates backlinks. Backlinks are links that point back to your blog. The more strong backlinks to your blog, the higher your domain authority will eventually become.
Backlinks signal to search engines that you’re not just a one-hit-wonder and your blog deserves a little attention (traffic).
As I previously mentioned, Facebook groups are a great way to find guest posting opportunities. I also have a list of the best sites for guest posting for new bloggers.
Here’s a list of FREE blogging-related resources that I recommend to help you get more traffic to your blog.
- Over 150 Blog Post Ideas to Drive Traffic to Your Blog. Create content that will help drive visitors to your blog and keep them coming back for more!
- How to Increase Organic Traffic to Your Blog- 9 Proven Steps. Learn the ins and outs of Seo in simple terms, so you can become a successful blogger.
- Fast Track This 5-day email crash course is jam-packed with vital information to creating more organic traffic.
- Pinterest for New Bloggers. A 9-day email course provides step-by-step instructions on how to create the best Pinterest profile.
A blogger can have a superb SEO and all-around marketing strategy. But without killer content, your efforts are pointless
Creating killer content, consist of finding topics that readers are interested in.
I recently read an article by Hubspot on 3 reasons people read blogs. And the number one answer is people want to learn something new. They are looking for things that will help them.
For this reason, tutorials and step by processes often generate large amount of traffic.
In addition to tutorials and step by step processes, readers want to be entertained. As well as simply find tips and tricks to make their life easier.
A good variety of different types of blog post will definitely help you drive traffic to your blog.
12 types of blog posts often generate the most traffic for bloggers. I have listed the top 6 blog posts that have generated traffic for my lifestyle blog.
- List. People love to have options, as well as a list, or usually easier to skim through.
- Resource Post. Is a collection of information usually from various sources designed to help readers solve an issue
- Cheat Sheets. Who doesn’t love a great cheat sheet to help you get things done. Cheat Sheets are easy to read and contains valuable information.
- Videos. For those who are not big on reading. Videos are the way to go. It also helps your reader get to know you better.
- Guest Post. Helps you continue to build your blog while still providing fresh content and a different perspective to your readers.
- Blog Series. Have a lot to say about a particular subject. If so, break it down into various blog posts.
I know you all are sick and tired of me talking about Tailwind. But let me tell you, Tailwind works when it comes to getting more visitors to your blog! Let me explain why.
When I started using Tailwind over a year ago. I had about 1000 page views per month. Yes, I know it was sad. But when I started using Tailwind for my Pinterest strategy, and my pageviews increased by 41% in less than 2 months.
,Tailwind has many great features that are designed specifically for Pinterest and bloggers.
The main feature that will help you get more traffic is their tailwind communities. Yes these communites consist of other bloggers in your various blogging niches. They are looking for content to publish on Pinterest, and just look at for themselves.
This means that your content is now in front of their audience when they share your content in the screenshot below. I received 750 reshares from my community members, so my potential impressions on Pinterest were 3 million!
In addition to getting your content shared, you can monitor your Pinterest analytics. As well as sync Tailwind with your Google Analytics account.
This will help you identify which pins are driving the most traffic to your site. And which ones you need to work on to get more traffic.
Oh, and did I mention you can schedule your pins, and save yourself some time, instead of manually posting them to Pinterest.
Remember posting consistently on Pinterest is one aspect of creating an air-tight Pinterest strategy.
You can try Tailwind free for 30 days using this affiliate link. Also, check out how to use Tailwind to drive more traffic to your new blog.
How good would you say your blog titles are? If you were looking for something to read, would you read your post based on reading one of your blog titles?
If the answer is no, or maybe we have some work to do. Here is a few tips to help you create a killer blog title.
- Appeal to Emotions. According to Coschedule, titles that have a higher emotional value get 1,000 more shares.
- Keyword Research. The Keywords you used to compose your blog post should be in the title of your blog post.
- Pay Attention to Headlines. When you’re browsing the Internet, pay attention to the headlines that caught your attention. Think about what did they say within that headline that made you click on the article.
For more information on how to create a killer headline, check out my blog post “Why Catchy Blog Post Titles Are More Tempting Than Cinnabon.”
Off Page SEO
Yes, SEO again. This time, not your own page SEO, such as the keywords you use. In fact, we are talking about your SEO efforts that go on behind the scenes such as your page speed.
Have you ever tried to go to a website, and it took forever, for the page to load. Yes, things like slow site speed doesn’t provide a good user experience.
Thing such as site slow speed can prevent your from ranking higher on google. Because search engines take into consideration user experience.
You can enter your URL here to perform a site audit. Get your SEO score, site speed, and backlink audit.
My page loading time was slow, so I installed a WordPress plug to improve my site speed.
Another off-page SEO technique to get more visitors to your new blog is to have keywords you can rank for within the name of your blog or in your blog’s meta description.
The meta description tells people what your blog is about. It’s similar to the tagline of your blog.
The meta description is a summary that appears below your URL on a search engine when your website is searched or shared.
Here are some examples of awesome meta descriptions.
Is your site visually appealing? Does it look professional? One way to have a professional and aesthetically appealing site is by using WordPress themes.
It doesn’t necessarily have to be a premium theme for it to look appealing and easy to navigate.
Besides having a good looking site, having beautiful images within your blog post helps engage your audience.
Having the right images, with words can take your content from being boring to EXCITING!
I wasn’t one of those bloggers who had 100,000 pageviews in my first month of blogging. My struggles with figuring out Pinterest and SEO have been real, to say the least.
Not to mention, there have been times when I wanted to quit blogging because I could not get any free blog traffic. But if you keep at it, figure out where you are going wrong, and fix it.
Save this post for later by pinning it to Pinterest, and use this as a cheat list to assist you in drastically increasing your blog traffic.
You can become a successful blogger who has learned “how to get free traffic to your new blog.”